Becoming a Landlord in Rockville, Maryland
It may seem complicated, but Renters Warehouse is here to make it easier on you!
But before we get started, there are some things you should know; In order to rent a home in Rockville, you will need a Rental License; you may also need to have your home tested for Radon and for Lead. Don't worry, Renters Warehouse has got you covered.
Do I need a Rental License?
Yes! All homes located in Montgomery County need a rental license, however which type of license will be dependent on where your home is located. The City of Rockville has a specific rental license for anyone within the city lines. You should first confirm whether your home is located within Rockville city limits, if not, you will need a Montgomery County License.
Click here for Rockville City Limits Map.
If your property falls within city lines, you do not need to get a County license, but you do need the City of Rockville rental license.
How to obtain your Rockville Rental License
- Apply for your Rockville Rental License online (all applications must be submitted online)
- Download and fill out your Rockville Rental License Application PDF
- If your home is built before 1978 you will need a lead certificate, see Lead Information below
- Download and fill out your Lead Compliance Form (required)
- Inspection: The city of Rockville will schedule an inspection of your property before issuing your license; view the list of items they will be looking for on page 2 of the application.
- Fee: $220, Checks payable to City of Rockville
- For Questions, call the City of Rockville at 240-314-8330
- Questions can also be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need a Lead Certificate?
If your home is built before 1978, the answer is yes. There are two main types of certificates: Lead Free* and a Risk Reduction. A lead free certificate is a one time certification that the home is lead free. These are more difficult to obtain in older homes; instead you may obtain a risk-reduction certificate. A risk-reduction certificate must be obtained every change of tenancy, no matter how short or long the tenancy lasts. Montgomery County's Lead Requirements ensure that Landlords are in compliance with Maryland Lead Law. You will need to register your property with MDE here to verify that you have your lead certificate, and don't forget to renew annually.* Your Renters Warehouse Advisor can connect you with a local certified Lead Inspector. If we draw up the lease for you, we also ensure the tenants have the required EPA and MD state lead information for you.
*A lead free certificate will certify that the home is lead free. You will only need to register your home with the MDE once.
Do I need a Radon Test?
Does your rental home have all ground-contact or or is it a basement unit in a single family home, multifamily apartment, or condominium? If so, the answer is yes. According to Montgomery County's Radon Testing and Mitigation, beginning July 1, 2023, "Landlords of these properties must conduct a radon test before leasing a unit to a prospective tenant within three years before the date of the lease." Your Renters Warehouse Advisor can assist you in connecting with a local certified radon testing company.